Friday, April 09, 2004

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

So, this was the first movie that I watched since my great return from the fasting world. And let me tell you it was pretty good. Jim Carey was quite amazing. I always knew he could act even though I hated the Ace Ventura movies. Kate Winslet was very good as well. The story goes back and forth from the past to the present. It is about erasing the memory of a particular person or event. And although the concept is a little far fetched in the techno department there is a great lesson to be learned. Erasing some of your past is like erasing parts of yourself. And in the end, the good memories we have with the people that touch are lives are what we want to remember anyway. I'm giving away some of the movie here but once Joel (Carey) starts the procedure of erasing Clementine (Winslet) he realizes that there are just too many good memories with her and he wants so badly to keep them all. But can't. He was hurting so badly he wanted her erased, but realized that the pain of having her as a memory was more important that losing his whole existence with her.

Although I have been through some hard times I would never want to erase them. I can't say that I never wished that they didn't happen but when I look back I am glad that they did. They are what shaped the person I am today. I don't know where I would be without them. And I am sure glad to be the person I am.

The character Mary, played by Kirsten Dunst says this quote while they are in the midst of erasing Joel's (Carey) memory:

How happy is the blameless vestal's lot!
The world forgetting, by the world forgot.
Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind!
Each pray'r accepted, and each wish resign'd.
-- Alexander Pope, "Eloisa to Abelard"

No comments: