Thursday, November 20, 2003

Lessons From My Grandfather

This was taken from a daily devotional I get via email from Intouch Ministries. Thought it was worth it to share.

Lessons From My Grandfather

Deuteronomy 6:4-9

Every society is only one generation away from paganism. For this reason, parents and grandparents have the awesome responsibility of passing down to their children the biblical truths and principles that have changed their lives. That is why I want to share what my grandfather taught me.

When I graduated from high school at the age of seventeen, I decided to visit my granddad, whom I had seen only two times in my life. I had an entire week to spend at his home, and all I wanted to do was listen to him. As he spoke to me, the thing that impressed me above all else was hearing him say, "Charles, obey God. If God tells you to run your head through a brick wall, you head for the wall. And when you get there, God will make a hole for it."

He knew a lot about brick walls and how God makes holes in them. He shared that his youthful passion had been to preach but that this dream was blocked by his lack of education. With no schooling, he did not see how he would ever get started as a preacher. But he opened the Bible, got on his knees, and learned to read and preach by simply crying out to God for help.

From that humble beginning, he started to minister, and as the Lord opened opportunities, my grandfather eventually established numerous churches. That week of visiting and sharing taught me that when you really want to do God's will, He will move heaven and earth to show you the way.

No comments: