Friday, January 07, 2005

Revisiting high school.

Alyssa, my niece, forgot her lunch at home today so I took her some money so that she wouldn't starve while at school. Right now her school is being built so they are temporarily in another high school. I had to walk through the cafeteria and hallways to get to the back of the school, where they are temporarily set up.

It's so weird how memories and feelings come back to you. For all who don't know, I hated high school. I felt like I didn't belong. Although I had a lot of friends I still felt alone and I'd much rather skip then be there. Walking through the cafeteria made me feel a little bit vulnerable today. Until, I got back to reality and realized hello I am 28 and these kids are kids. I looked around and although it was a totally different set up and time, nothing much had changed.

When Alyssa came down from her class, she looked so cute in her uniform. It was actually the first time I'd seen her in it. She had stepped out from English class. She thought she was in trouble, so when she saw that it was me, she seemed pretty happy. She did what I would have done, procrastinate. She tried to stay with me as long as she could, until I finally told her that she should get back to class. She doesn't like English. When I was her age I didn't like it either, but by the 11th grade I fell in love with it. I hope she does too.

One thing that was really weird to see was the school had cameras at every corner and throughout the hallways. We had to deal with peer pressure and drugs/alcohol. These kids have to deal with that plus violence, gangs, weapons, etc.. I am sure glad I didn't have to grow up as a teen in this day and age.

No comments: