Wednesday, July 21, 2004

I can mark King Arthur off my checklist of summer movies!

Saw 'King Arthur' with Melissa tonight.  I was not expecting much because of all the gossip going around about it.  I love it when I go into movies not expecting much because I usually come away with a good sense of the movie.  Much more then if I was expecting all sorts of greatness and am let down.  I was not!  And it was a great movie.  I've always been a fan of King Arthur and Excalibur.  Actually I am more fascinated with Sir Lancelot's character then Arthur himself, who of course is also intriguing. 

Anyway, this movie was not your typical 'Arthur' story.  And I think that is why I liked it so much.  They did not have to put Guinevere in a slutty outfit but I seemed to enjoy her character in this movie.  She was a fighter.  She reminded me just a little bit of Joan of Arc.  Who really knows the legend and whether it is truth or myth but this movie had a little more realistic approach to the whole legend.  Don't get me wrong, I love legend too.  Other Arthur stories are great too.  Merlin, surprisingly didn't play a big roll though.  Which was a little disappointing.  Merlin is a big role in the 'legend' of King Arthur and his Knights.  I wish they would have did him a little more justice then they did.  But over all, the movie was great.  Good action, a little bit of romance (seriously, only a tiny bit), and it showed the humanness(is that even a word?) of King Arthur, some of his good deeds - which he is legend for.  Thumbs up on this one!

No comments: