Tuesday, October 19, 2004

Giving to the homeless in Toronto.

We had a very casual meeting at cell group tonight. We hung out at Second Cup and just got to know each other a bit better. One question that popped up was 'If you could do/be anything what would it be?' So we went around the round table one by one discussing it.

My response was to be the best mom to my children that I could be. I also have thought about this for awhile - I would love to open up a summer/weekend camp for kids. I would love for it to be free for those children who are less fortunate. I want them to gain an intimate relationship with Jesus by getting to know him through all the love, kindness and generousity that I want to pour out onto them. I have no clue if this would be possible. A free camp! But it was an exercise of what you would do if you could do anything. That is what I would do.

I have also learned that my niece Alyssa went downtown Toronto last week with her teacher and three other students. They prepared sandwiches and for over an hour handed them out to homeless people. That has been pressing on my heart as well. I want to do that. I want to go downtown and just give to those who need it. I think I am going to ask a few people if they would join me and we can go hand out some food and some warm clothes that we have at home that we don't use and just give, give, give.

The people in the cell group didn't think it was wise. They think that I should join an organization that 'specializes' in this kind of work and do it through them. They said it could be unsafe to do it any other way. I don't agree. I believe I don't need an organization, Jesus didn't have an organization, He just poured His love on the people. That is what I want to do. I am going to ask at work for some donations of warm clothes and maybe do this, this weekend. It is getting cold outside and this would be the time to do it.

What do you guys think of this? Am I crazy? Do I need to join an organization? I am being silly and not wise?

2 comments:

Scott said...

we do it every week... i think jesus called it... christianity. go for it!!!!

Angela said...

Thank you both for your encouragement.