Saturday, February 26, 2005

What a week!!!

This week has had its ups and downs. One thing that happened is when I went into work on Tuesday they wanted to talk to me before my shift. They said that they no longer could accommodate my schedule. I told them that it was funny to me because there are so many others in the same situation as me or worse and they can accommodate theirs. Anyway, in the end they let me go. I realize after I had stepped into my car that the real reason was that a few weeks ago I had a discussion with one of the managers about my hours. She told me that I am required to work every holiday(stat or not) whether or not it fell on my regularly scheduled days and she noted that it was in the employee handbook. She included Mother's/Father's day etc... I then proceeded to tell her that before she hired me I made her aware that I do not work on Sundays due to religious reasons and that she agreed to my terms upon hiring me. I then told her that by law she can not force me to work on Sundays. She basically looked at me in surprise, I guess she thought she could pull a fast one on me or something and realized I knew more than she thought I did. She then said that we would discuss this later, to which I said alright. All I can say now is I guess this was the 'later' she was talking about.

At first I was a little upset. Mostly because all they ever talked about was honesty and integrity (even when they were letting me go), and they really were only talking about it to make themselves feel justified. I really dislike dishonesty. I think what they did was terrible. And I really hope they don't do it to anyone else. I was the only one speaking honestly and openly about my faith, that too could be a reason. But truthfully, it really doesn't matter because in the end we all are held accountable to God.

So, what do I do now? I pray for them and me. God is on my side and I know He is working in me and through me. With God all things are possible if we only put our faith in Him. That is what I am in the process of learning and doing. I also must remember that God is in control, and I know He takes care of me.

The second thing that was a downer is that I found out that my grandfather is in the hospital. They had been running tests to see what was wrong with the pain in his side and when they did a catscan on him they found cancer. Not just a little cancer. He seems to have full blown lung and bone cancer. They gave him only four weeks. What is worst of all is that he does not know the Lord.

My friend from school volunteered to come with me to the hospital and we are going to have a real chat with him, today. One like he has never heard before. I really hope in the end, whether we are there or not, that he gives his heart to the Lord. Only him and God will know. And that is fine with me. All week, all I have been thinking about is what do I say, how do I do it. I have never done anything like this ever. I guess there really is a first for everything. I am no pastor, but I know that the Lord will give me the words. If it isn't too much trouble, I could use your prayers too.


Lori said...

definitely not too much trouble to pray for you...

Lori said...

how did it go with your visit with your grandfather?

Angela said...

Lori, thank you for caring!

God was definitely with us when we entered the hospital. Most of my family was there. So, I was a little scared. No one interupted though. Everyone listened. So what I thought was going to be a disaster turned out to be a blessing. My grandfather did not accept or deny Christ. He told me he wasn't atheist, which opened the way. We had a good long talk and afterward he let us pray over him. I know that day a seed was planted in his heart, and because of how it took place, also in the hearts of the family members that were there. It is now up to God to grow the seed. I leave it in His hands.